All Content

SF BAPA Fly-In, Potato Hill, 4/10-4/11 2015

The first BAPA Fly-in for the season will be held at Potato Hill on April 10-11, 2015.

We'll plan a Potluck Dinner on Saturday night.  Please let us know if you plan on attending by replying to (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. ) and (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. ).  We'll set up an Evite with the attendees where we can plan out dinner, work on rides, etc.

For pilots arriving Saturday morning intending to fly the early session, meet at the LZ at 0900 SHARP to meet vehicles going up to launch.

If you have not been to Potato Hill before please visit this link to get more information:

http://www.flyzephyr.com/potato.htm

We will be camping at Dixie Glade campground on the side of Potato Hill. The camping is primitive and somewhat remote: there is an outhouse and fire pits but no water, and the nearest store is about 40 minutes away. Please plan to bring all the food and water you will need with you.  There is a 5 dollar per night fee for camping there.

NOTE TO NEWER PILOTS:

Potato Hill is informally regulated by BAPA and Sonoma Wings and although there are no rating requirements please be aware that it is a (usually) lee side mountain thermal site with an LZ that often has thermic, turbulent air (it's poppy!). If you have little to no mountain experience Potato can be a good place to build your skills but you should plan to fly early in the day and/or in the evening if conditions allow.

 

See you soon!

Will Whitaker

 

BAPA Activities Director

March 4th BAPA Meeting Minutes

BAPA Meeting Minutes - November 5, 2014

Meeting held at Red Lobster, Milpitas, CA. 

16 members in attendance, including three guests/prospective members. 

Meeting called to order at 7:15pm 

      1.Introductions:

            Three new paragliders present 

      2.Presidents Report (David McMillan):

              ●           Mt.Tam Rule Violations:  All paragliders need to land in the designated landing area on the

                 beach, several pilots unknowingly broke this rule over the last couple of weekends.

 

        Bank Swallow Colony (North of Fort Funston):  Steve Rodriguez explained that we

(both PG and HG) are not allowed to fly north of the northern beach access trail into the

Bank Swallow habitat area from March 15th to August 15. 

This is in the vicinity north of the Fort Funston HG launch/landing area.

 

        Fort Funston Meeting with BAPA, Fellow Feathers (FF) and GGNRA:  BAPA and FF met

with GGNRA on February 24th, 2015 to discuss getting consistent language in the

Funston and Stables permits.  Steve and Ken of FF will be meeting with David Sondergeld

and David McMillan of BAPA to discuss HG/PG issues at FortFunston.

 

        Mussel Rock: Don’t launch from top of the cliffs north of the Green Monster up

on Westlake, homeowners have complained and Daly City has said they will ticket people even

though the line between private property and public land at the cliffs may not be clear.

 

        Blue Rock Weather Station: The station is now operable, working and can be found

on Weather Underground.  Thanks to Joel McMinn for setting this up!

 

       New weather station: Rick C is installing a new weather station and windsock at the top of

Westlake near the Church.

 

        Ed Levin Weather Station: This station  continues to have issues.  BAPA will contact

Pat Denevan to see if we can assist with technical expertise.

 

        BAPA Website:  Several pilots are assisting on the website at the moment. 

Tarry Chen at the meeting offered to assist as needed.

                    G-Force Machine:  Jug Aggarwal is trying to find location to place the machine, 

             but liability issues persist.  Not as much interest as Jug expected either. 

             Jug will continue to explore possibilities. 

      3.Vice President’s Report (Susan Kent):

        Susan will be taking on all membership duties now from Treasurer.

 

      4.Activities Director’s Report (Will Whitaker): Absent:

        Will is working on finalizing the 2015 Activities calendar

 

      5.Treasurer’s Report (Robin Cushman):

        $8036.53 in bank account.

 

      6.Other Officer Reports: None

 

      7.New Business: 

        Hat Creek - There is a new club at Hat Creek that will manage the site called

Hat Creek Pilots Association.  They will be in charge of the USFS use permit. 

Donations will be accepted to the club for site maintenance.

 

Presentation by Jug Aggarwal: On the 2015 Northern California Sprint League at 8:45pm. 

Meeting adjourned at 9:30pm 

Minutes recorded by David McMillan, BAPA President (for Daniel Bremond, Secretary travelling)

Any corrections or omissions, please respond to David McMillan or Daniel Bremond directly.

(See Officer List for email addresses)

 

BAPA Meeting Minutes – January 14, 2015

The meeting was held at Round Table Pizza, in South San Francisco.

 The Meeting was called to order at 7:25pm

In attendance were 11 pilots including Jugdeep Aggarwal, USHPA Director for         Region 2, Steve Rodrigues USHPA Secretary, Director at Large and Fellow             Feathers Treasurer, Julie Spiegler USHPA Project Manager,  and Ken Martin             Fellow Feathers President

The meeting was presided over by Dave McMillan President

President’s Report (David McMillan)

BAPA Elections.

The 2014 BAPA officers were re-elected.

       President - David McMillan

       Vice President - Susan Kent

       Treasurer - Robin Cushman

       Secretary - Daniel Bremond

       Site Director - Dan Retz

       Safety Director - Jesse Meyer

       Activities Director - Will Whitaker 

Christmas Party Saturday December 6th, 2014.

The party  was a big success in a very good location. Thanks to Julie and Gever.

Jug moved and Susan seconded a motion that BAPA voted to donate $250 to Brightworks (Gever's school) as a thank you for hosting the BAPA Christmas party.

Risk assessment.

It is time of the year to update these papers.

David will oversee the process for BAPA.

Julie is in the process of updating the USHPA website to include a description of the procedure.

Vice President’s Report (Susan Kent)

The club accounts (2014 and 2015) for 175 members, before purge of 2014             members not renewing in 2015. The grace period to renew will end in March               and the purge will be done after a last email notification.

Other Officer Reports - None

Old Business

Mount Umunhum (By Daniel)

There was a Public meeting few weeks ago about the selection of a contractor                  to maintain the Radar Tower landmark. This should have no impact on the              flying schedule. The public access is not yet allowed. The expected  opening is                  spring 2017.

The remediation plan for the impact of flyers (Paragliders and Hang gliders)                  on  protected raptors is a piece of art . See the url

http://www.openspace.org/CGI-BIN/agendas_minutes/2012.09.19.MtUm_Project_web_R-12-91.pdf

and read “Mitigation Measure 4.3-4”(pages 27 and 28)

Bapa Website (By Julie)

There is a plan to improve the website. We have found two volunteers                                 (Daniel and Alex). There will be a collaborations with Fellows Fathers, because                we have the same needs. The work will be focussed on two parts: Member        Management  application and Information website. 

New Business:

Hang Glider and Paraglider collaboration

A discussion took place to find actions to improve the collaboration and understanding between the two types of wings. The best way was described as  “Exchanges days”. To move forward, we need to talk to Instructors, find volunteers and advertise on the websites. To be continued

G-Force Machine.

A such machine is owned by Jug and actually kept in a storage container.                     Its use requires some permanent settings and Jug is looking for a location.                After discussion, Jug was asked to provide a datasheet describing the specifications  required to install and use safely the machine in order to help in searching for a   location.

By-Law (By Susan)

Our ByLaw need to be updated. The last changes were approved in February 2012. Proposed changes include

-          Newsletter - Periodically vs monthly – Distribution Electronically

-          Meetings – Periodically vs monthly

-          No more Director at large,

-          Add Activity Director

-          Quorum workaround – Allow on-line and Email votes

Susan will draft the changes and submit them at the next meeting.

Tree rescue clinic

Jug announced a tree rescue clinic which took place Saturday January 24

Meeting adjourned at 9:20pm

BAPA Meeting Minutes - November 5, 2014

Meeting held at Red Lobster, Milpitas, CA.

Minutes recorded by David McMillan, BAPA President (for Daniel Bremond, Secretary travelling).

Meeting called to order at 7:10pm

12 members in attendance, including one guest

 Introductions

 One visitor present, new P2 pilot (Daniel)

 Presidents Report (David McMillan):

        Officer Nominations - 2014 BAPA officers were re-nominated for 2015.

No other officer nominations were received.  Members to vote via the BAPA website prior to the BAPA Holiday Party.  Results will be announced at the Holiday Party.

     ○        President - David McMillan

     ○        Vice President - Susan Kent

     ○        Treasurer - Robin Cushman

     ○        Secretary - Daniel Bremond

     ○        Site Director - Dan Retz

     ○        Safety Director - Jesse Meyer

     ○        Activities Director - Will Whitaker

        BAPA Website - Alex Neigher is working on website, but progress is slow.  Jill Nephew and Daniel (guest) offered to assist as needed.

        Holiday Party is Saturday, December 6th 2014.  Two options are being considered.  David McMillan will investigate both options and make decision next week.(Since the meeting, the location has been selected and a notification was sent)

        BAPA Logo - Jakob Uszkoreit posted some preliminary logos on the bag list.  It was agreed that we would work with Jakob’s logo to use for a current design.

        Mountain Hardwear Employee Store - BAPA members have access to the Mountain Hardwear Employee Store in Richmond, CA.  Please make use of this privilege so that we don’t lose it in the future!  BAPA members are listed at the store counter and you must be on the list for access.

        Keeping new pilots flying - we mentioned that USHPA has stated that many new P2 pilots give up the sport each year.  We as a club need to do our best to mentor new pilots and keep them engaged.  This is best done at our local level.  It was suggested that we engage the local instructors to encourage their students to become involved in BAPA and the local flying community.  BAPA is here to help and mentor new pilots!

Vice President’s Report (Susan Kent)

        Need to review our current Bylaws and post on the BAPA website.

Activities Director’s Report (Will Whitaker):

        Dunlap Fly-in in August, BAPA Picnic in September, Monster Mash end of October was excellent with a good turnout!

Other Officer Reports - None

Regional Director’s Report (Josh Cohn, Jug Aggarwal):

        Possible revision of T3 ratings being discussed at the USHPA level

New Business: 

        Blue Rock Weather Station - Joel McMinn will install a new weather station at the top of Blue Rock in Vallejo.  Joel has received numerous donations but is short of the budget.  It was motioned that BAPA provide up to $300 to cover the budget shortage.  The motion passed.

        Josh Cohn discussed support of the US Paragliding and X-Alps Team.  The US teams have a goal of $46,000 to raise for the 2015 season.  It was motioned that BAPA donate $500 to the US teams for 2015.  The motion passed.

        MissionPeak - It was mentioned that the local rangers will be enforcing the trail regulations at MissionPeak.  This means no shortcuts (which cause erosion of the trails) and staying on the marked trails at all times.  Paragliders have been respectful of this in the past and we will continue to do so in the future.

        G-Force Machine - Jug Aggarwal discussed the G-Force Machine, which is sitting dormant in Central California.  Jug would like to transport up to the Bay Area and install in a semi-permanent location in the SouthBay.  Two locations are being considered.  It was motioned that BAPA donate up to $300 to transport and install the machine locally.  A work party will most likely be needed to install the machine this winter.

        Jug Aggarwal would like to conduct a tree self-rescue clinic this winter.

        Jug Aggarwal also discussed the Sprint League from 2014 and plans for the future in 2015.  Jug has sent out a survey to all the Sprint participants and it would be most helpful for everyone to respond to the survey to develop the 2015 Sprint League future.

Meeting adjourned at 9:25pm

Additional information